My photo
Newnan, Georgia, United States
I am a yoga student continuously studying, taking workshops and practice, practice, practice.
Currently enrolled in a 230hr Yoga Teacher Training. I hope to share that with you here.
Born & raised in the south along the banks of the Mississippi in Louisiana. Married in 2003 and transplanted to Georgia.
A southern Yogini at heart.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Living Your Yoga

I had to do a book review for my Yoga Teacher Training. I choose Living Your Yoga by Judith Lasater. I've read many yoga books. I could have done it on a book I've already read or on an asana book. But I choose this one. For many many reasons.
But here are a few key parts I enjoyed and watned to share:

“The practices of yoga, which include poses, breathing, meditation, and self-awareness techniques, are difficult in and of themselves. It is also difficult to practice consistently in the midst of our busy lives. In order to commit ourselves to practice, we must have faith that they will be fruitful and accomplish their intent, which is to help us turn towards ourselves and recognize our essential wholeness.”

Another Piece I really really enjoyed:
The Real beginning of spiritual practice is evident when we accept responsibility for ourselves, that is, when we acknowledge that ultimately there are no answers outside of ourselves, and no gurus, no teachers, and no philosophies that can solve the problems of our lives. It is our dedication to living with open hearts and our commitment to the day-to-day details of our lives that will transform us. When we are open to the present moment, we shine forth. At these times, we are not on a spiritual path: we are the spiritual path.

Also:
If there really are no answers outside of ourselves, then we must learn to turn toward ourselves and be comfortable in doing so. Abiding practice can remind us that there is nothing we need to be whole that does not already exist within us.

Contemplation for the day.
Much Love

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I used to live around the corner from her Yoga shala in Larkspur...
very special place I must say! xx