My photo
Newnan, Georgia, United States
I am a yoga student continuously studying, taking workshops and practice, practice, practice.
Currently enrolled in a 230hr Yoga Teacher Training. I hope to share that with you here.
Born & raised in the south along the banks of the Mississippi in Louisiana. Married in 2003 and transplanted to Georgia.
A southern Yogini at heart.

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Reflections & Transition

There is a yoga teacher I've never practiced with but hear about; Govinda Kai .
I really like reading his posts on Facebook.
He posted this today and I am going to take some time after my next practice to think about this and just write.
I wanted to share it with everyone as well.
I might post my entry here, depends on how long it is:)

Buddha
The transition from one year to the next is a particularly special time for me. I have found that they are especially powerful transition times. They are times when I have been able to make the greatest and the most profound changes in my personal and spiritual life.

The very first thing that I do at the end of the year is to take time to reflect as deeply as possible on the previous year.

Here are some of the questions that I like to ask myself.

1. What do I have to be grateful for this past year?

2. Who were the most significant people in my life this past year and how did their presence in my life enhance my life?

3. Whose lives did I enhance most significantly?

4. What were the most memorable events of this past year?

5. What did I learn about myself in this past year?

6. What were the most significant books in my life this past year and why?

7. What happened this past year that I totally did not expect?

It is important that you write the answers to these questions down on paper. There is something remarkable when words are committed to being written down. Not only do you see them differently, but you also have a written record with which to reflect on in future times. Aside from putting these reflections down on paper, I also like to make some kind of audio and/or video recording of these kinds of thoughts.

Additionally, the following questions are reflections to be directed towards the year to come.

1. What are my highest hopes and dreams for the coming year?

2. What are the biggest obstacles to the achievement of these dreams and what habits will I put in place to overcome these obstacles?

3. As part of question 2, actually pull out a calendar and detail your weekly and monthly habits for the coming year.

4. What specific people and communities am I going to invest my time and energy into this year? Be as specific as possible with this answer.

Doing this particular exercise in self-reflection is more powerful than you realize. Reflecting on yourself in these ways and then writing your reflections down significantly influences not only what actually happens in your life, but also changes the way that you see yourself.

Most people do not realize this, but the way that you perceive yourself has tremendous power. Most people never really grow or change simply because the way that they perceive themselves never really changes for their entire life. Those people who actively work to change their own perceptions of themselves inevitably are always changing and growing in deep and dramatic ways.

The scriptures teach us that reality, in its highest sense, is truly unlimited. The only limits that exist are the ones that we hold in our own minds. That means that we are the only ones who are stopping us from achieving our highest dreams, from becoming the best that we can become.

Times of transition are the absolute best times to transcend, to go beyond our preconceived limits. Spiritual life is about liberation from these limits and the experience of radiant joy.

Let us utilize this transition between the passing year and the New Year and claim our birthright to this new and joy filled horizon.

Hari OM!

Govinda Kai


I finished my practice at home today.

I did my practice and had some fun with it. After doing Sun Salutations, Standing sequence and seated up to Navasana I had fun with the closing and Denver took a picture of me.
I still need the wall to get into Headstand, but after I get there I can balance and am trying to build strength.
So here is a yoga picture.

Headstand sort of

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happened upon your blog yesterday. Thanks for writing. I am going to print out the questions for reflection that you included and answer them. It is just the thing I need right now. I've let work battle and win over my piece of mind. My yoga practice has dwindled over the past year. Yesterday morning I began anew and I feel terrific. Seeing your blog only buoyed my spirits more! Thank you.

Namaste!

Flo said...

Thanks!I hope to see you back here and posting.